Re: Need Reassurance on PM3

Adrian J Bool (aid@paranoia.u-net.net)
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 08:45:54 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Scott Lagos wrote:

> I know there must be many ISPs running these with no problems, but of
> course we don't hear from too many of them on this list. If there are any
> users of these units having few or no problems please respond, in any
> manner you see reasonable, letting me know of your success. No need for
> people having problems to respond, I can see all of them clearly here. I
> am looking for information that will re-establish my confidence in the PM3.

I don't have any Livingston boxes yet - currently using ascend - but have
been following this list for a couples of months now and am very
encourgaed by the general 'happiness' of PM3 users, with the exception of
these connect troubles.

I'm going to borrow one of these boxes on evaluation - largely to test the
modem code's compatability with my user's modems. Due to all the 56K
lark and that all the modems in the PM3s are about to be thrown out in
favour of Lucent DSPs this would at the mo be largely a waste of time!

Basically, people seem extremely satisfied with ComOS, with a few
reservations on the modem code - with the new Lucent code, which one
would imagine has been aroud for a lot longer than the Livingston DSP
modem code the PM3 could well be on the way to being a very reliable/stable
box... (an ascend user's dream!!!)

I noticed the post from someone @ microcom saying that they use the Lucent
modem solution - does anyone have one of those boxes and can comment on
the stability of the modems ???

Regards

aid