Re: Pipeline problem is resolved (fwd)

Karl Denninger (karl@Mcs.Net)
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 14:30:08 -0600

On Fri, Apr 04, 1997 at 12:19:03PM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> At 01:53 PM 4/4/97 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 04, 1997 at 11:20:26AM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> >> Also look at the list of vendors besides Ascend/Cisco that do support BACP,
> >> there *are* plenty of boxes out there to work with....
> >
> >That doesn't make it any less braindead.
>
> Doesn't make what any less braindead ?

Needing things like MP+ and BACP do to dynamic call management on ISDN.

> BACP has absolutely *zero* to do with determining load.....

Then why can't you do DBA by actually determining the load? Why is it that
in order to do dynamic allocation on an MPP call, you require protocol
back-end support that isn't necesasry?

> It does work irregardless of BACP or MP+....that's NOT what they exist for...

If you are set for MPP, and one "B" drops, you're screwed until you hang up
and redial, EVEN IF THE LOAD ON THE REMAINING B CHANNEL PLASTERS IT FOREVER.

This is broken. Period.

> >Some folks, notably SGI, figured this one out *YEARS* ago in their ISDN
> >connectivity implementations.
>
> I'm confused by what point you're making here. BACP/MP+ are not
> solutions for load calculation - never have been...

They are "solutions" for dynamic bandwidth allocation which are not
necessary to solve the problem at hand..

> >ASCEND has ignored these facts for well over a year.
>
> Tell me again what facts we are discussing...?

See above.

> >To *ALL* the ISDN vendors out there -- do this one right. Its not difficult.
>
> ....Hmm.
>
> Customer Satisfaction
> Ascend Communications http://www.ascend.com/service

Well, given that ASCEND has been asked by this customer for over a year to
implement DBA in an intelligent fashion using only the data available on the
raw channels, and has not done so...

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal