Re: USR Lowers Pricing

Karl Denninger (karl@Mcs.Net)
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 18:10:07 -0600

On Thu, Apr 03, 1997 at 05:52:30PM -0600, Jonah Yokubaitis wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
>

> |It looks as if USR has lowered prices CONSIDERABLY for their terminal
> |services. We just got quoted a price for a USR Total Control model with 48
> |modems + 2 pri for $14,352. This includes everything but a $250 fan.
> |That is about $295 per port.
> |
> |Now, I paid $11,000 for my PM3. It's a nice box, includes 2 PRI, but I
> |elected to only get 24 modems, but to upgrade to 48 modems it's going to
> |cost me $5,691 for a total cost of about $16,700.
> |
> |At the time we purchased the PM3, the USR was about $560/port. I guess
> |they are going all out to support x2. Is this the beginning of a price
> |war?
>
> USR is going for the balls. You can bet Ascend/cisco are in chaos
> right now.
>
> Jonah
>
> Jonah Barron Yokubaitis | Texas' First X2 and K56flex
> President | Internet Provider
> Texas.Net . | Austin|San Antonio|Houston
> http://www.texas.net | Dallas|Fort Worth|Boerne
> Making 56K affordable | Georgetown|Dripping Springs

Yeah, well, USR can go for the balls, but the fact still remains that their
TC rack sucks in just too many ways for me to consider it seriously, and
X2's biggest flaw is that its a monopoly solution.

Desperate people who KNOW they can't win in a stand-up fight go for the
balls.

Draw your own conclusions.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal