Re: PM's for other purposes

John G. Thompson (jgt10@livingston.com)
Thu, 03 Apr 1997 08:56:15 -0800

At 01:51 AM 4/3/97 -0500, Ing. Felipe Tribaldos wrote:
>Prehaps a little off topic, but I'll take a stab at it.
>
>I'm interested in stories of people using PM2's for users
>other than dialin remote access, with modems attached to the serial ports.
>
>Perhaps as:

A console concentrator. At my last job in as an enterprise admin for a
corporate firewall we had 6 telebit modem racks. We ran null modem cables
from the racks to a PM2 which then did portmaster device service to a
solaris 2.4 machine. From the solaris machine we could 'tip' to the racks
and perform diagnostics and maintenance of the modems!

JGT
IP petro primate

--
John G. Thompson       Livingston Enterprises Inc.    Phone: (800) 458-9966
JOAT(MON)              4464 Willow Road                 Fax: (510) 426-8951