Re: Why waste your time and money on 2400b pri circuit- we

DamienT (damient@livewire.digicity.net)
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 22:37:48 -0800

At 08:53 PM 11/30/96 -0700, Stephen Fisher wrote:

>If it is that important get some Ciscos to do it for you. Why is OSPF so
>important for dialup setups like the people on this list? I don't have a
>huge setup so I don't need any high level routing protocols right now.

Reading your reply (above) to patrick reminds me of how bent out of shape
I got a weekend or two ago when someone told me to go buy some Ascend MAXen
if I didn't like the fact that the PM3 didn't yet support channelized T-1.

First of all, if you like Livingston as a company and want to see them do
well, the last thing you should do is encourage people to buy someone else's
products. I'm sure Livingston's marketing folks jump for joy everytime
someone makes such dismissive comments. And as a side-note, the personal
response I received from Livingston sales regarding our needs was quite
reassuring...and the MAX-UP lease is still sitting on my desk unsigned...
despite the continuous stream of calls from Ascend. Boy - once they get
your number...

Anyway, the point of my constructive criticism here is that not everyone
uses a single dedicated circuit and just runs dial-up. There are many, many
people on this list with whom I've corresponded who have Frac T-1 and frame
relay circuits running from here to hell to support users all over the place.
Just because you may see 5 posts per week about how to set the idle timer
doesn't mean that everyone operates at that level. Also, we already KNOW we
can buy other routers that support OSPF, et. al.

The point of the complaints here are that we want that feature from
Livingston.
If we didn't LIKE Livingston, we'd have unloaded all our Livingston hardware
and bought Cisco (or Ascend) by now.

Although your post wasn't directed at me, I appreciate you allowing me the
opportunity to respond.