Anti-2400 whining, was: Why waste...

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 20:27:14 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Steve Haynes wrote:

> Megazone,
>
> I for one believe the minority complained....We have NO use for 2400 and
> do not except accounts with less than 14.4 modems....

Don't use it then. It doesn't take anything away. The talk on the list
wasn't nearly as whiney as your post, more along the lines of pointing
out that 2400 is still used for some applications and would be a "nice to
have".

> We have about 2600
> customers and I would NOT sell them a PPP account at that speed. I really
> believe MOST real ISP's do not need 2400 baud. Its just another rate the
> modem has to go through and more code to fail or cause a problem......

Ummm... Don't they start at the top and train down?

> I hope it is dropped in upcoming OS' releases......

I don't. Adding 2400 support:

* Didn't cost any money (the code was already written, probably much easier
to do than higher speeds and written first to test.)

* Didn't cost any time (see above.)

* Doesn't hurt anything.

* Allows the PM3 to be integrated into specialized dialout situations
like pager notification and credit card verification. These use
2400 due to faster negotiation time (Yes, 2400 is faster for short
bursty applications.)

* At least allows a connection so that tech support can verify to the
clueless, "You'll need to get a new modem in order to effectively
use our service," instead of prolonged battles of "Can't connect, but
can connect to AOL", only to find out after hours of hassle that the
customer's "14400 fax/modem" is 2400 bps data. (Raise your hand if
you've ever been there, done that.)

> This is a prime example of the loud minority (numbers of PM's owned not
> numbers of users of this list) getting your attention. If they have to
> have 2400, then slap one of the old 2400 b modems, most folks have, on
> there PM-2's....This whole thing has gotton out of hand (and concerns me
> about Livingstons priorities).

Nobody is forcing you to connect at 2400. Chill. What next, demanding
they get rid of the telnet interface because DEC hasn't made VT-100s in a
while?

> stepping off soapbox...Livingston, I hope for your sake you are getting
> this message and will again get your priorites straight and become the
> Responsive Livingston I know and love.........

Ummm.... They just did that.

You know, MZ, it would be nice if you would support Baudot at 60 wpm for
all those TDDs out there, and how about Morse... ;)

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.
805-892-2133 805-289-1000 805-578-2121