Re: Monitoring Bandwidth

John-David Childs (jdc@optim.ism.net)
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 11:09:33 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Jonathan wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can any one recommend any software to monitoring bandwidth on the
> portmaster routers I am running a Linux box, and also have Windows 95
> terminals on the network so software for either of these two platforms
> would be fine.

MRTG (*nix). http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker

It's the best of several free snmp monitors I've tried, although Netscarf
(www.merit.edu) is promising.

> Secondly I understand that monitoring software uses the snmp protocol which
> the portmaster supports what setup is required on the promaster to get this
> running.

Chapter 20-16 in the blue book :) Be sure to set your write community
either OFF or to an internal host. SNMP community strings are transmitted
in the clear.

--

John-David Childs www.marsweb.com/www.ism.net System Administrator Internet Services Montana (406)721-6277 & Network Engineer M@RSWeb - Montana's PREMIER Web Site "I used up all my sick days...so I'm calling in dead"