Re: two question regarding PM3s (fwd)

Steve Haynes (steve@exis.net)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:04:36 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the prompt response. We are going to be ordering PM-3's and
have in fact contacted solunet to get one on order.

The only 2 concerns we have left is how is the performance on a FULLY loaded
box....ie 2 pri's .....should we see any degration from empty box to full
(all isdn circuits being used).

We are concerned as we have heard some of the compitition does NOT do
well under full load.

As far as switches go, every device on our network is on a 10 1/2 duplex
or 100 mbps FDX switch. One of the things we have found is collisions go
up dramaticly as the packet rate goes above about 400-600 pps input to our
cisco 7000 router. In fact we had to go to 100 FDX (full duplex) to get
away from collisions going above 13% to our router and to our news server.

This was not a product of mbps but a problem with pps rates. I sure wish
you all were going to support full duplex, but that will not be a show
stopper, and you all should consider it in the future.

One last question, and this is not meant to cause a flame, when will we
get ospf support for our current PM-2's. We have 8 fully loaded PM-2's
and rip is eating about 15-20% of our cisco 7000 cpu and we need to get
this load off and do not want to do static routing as our network is very
dynamic and we do not want to have to keep updating our core routers with
each change we make. This has been promissed for a long time and we have
stuck with livingston as you have the BEST product out there, except for
the routing problems with alot of your PM-2's on a network. This is a
serious short coming with larger ISP's. When we only had 3 or 4 PM's it
was not a problem, but with the rapid growth we have had it has become a
VERY sore point and blimishes a otherwise teriffic product and hampers
our growth.

We are pleased that ospf is supported in the PM-3 (we would NOT have
ordered them is it was not)

Thaks for your time...

Warm Regards,

Steve Haynes