Channel Bank (Was 'on-going cost effectiveness...)

Kevin Kadow (kadokev@ripco.com)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 14:22:34 -0600 (CST)

> From: "Richard_R.Moore" <MOORERR@msu.edu>
> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 96 17:17 EST
> Subject: On-going cost effectiveness of PM3?
>
> However, unless i am asking the wrong question of my telephone company
> (ameritech), a channelized T1 _with a channel bank at the central office_ will
> cost about $300 per month MORE than individual phone lines. The channel bank
> at the central office, i am told, is required to permit users to access any of
> the 24 T1 channels by simply dialing a single phone number as they do now. If
> i could avoid the channel bank, the cost would be some what less.

This option is completely worthless to an ISP. Not only will it make it
impossible to accept 56K (X2 or ISDN) calls, the extra D->A->D conversion
will ruin any chances of your users connected at 28.8 or higher.

A real channelized T1 takes 24 digital channels directly from the switch,
with no conversion to analog. Anything less than this will give you WORSE
results than just hauling in 24 POTS lines.