Re: BellSouth does it again...

Doug Ingraham (dpi@rapidnet.com)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 11:12:20 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Chris Trown wrote:

> Things change when you are talking about a business that is regulated.
> Also, while they actually do lose money on residential service, they make up
> for the difference with charges on business services.

The above statement simply cannot be true! The costs of installing a
residential like must be greater since on the average the copper runs are
greater to residential areas. And there have to be more than 3 times as
many residential phones as business phones. Also residential phones are
in service 24 hours per day while business phones are mostly used 1/3 of a
day. When you consider that the phone companies are in this to make money
it is unlikely in the extreme that they are losing money on residential
service. If the statement is true then the telcos are losing money hand
over fist and we know that isn't true. Most likely is that they make a
little bit off of each residential customer and a LOT off of business
customers. When someone else brings in tone the business rates should
drop to close to residential rates. I am looking forward to this
happening.

Doug Ingraham A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner
Rapid City, SD and outer life depends on the labours of other men,
USA living and dead and that I must exert myself in order
to give in the same measure as I have received.
-Albert Einstein