Re: Portmaster PM2ER questions. - DNS

Robert Boyle (robert@garden.net)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:47:17 -0500

At 03:01 PM 11/19/96 +0400, Andres wrote:
>1.- Can I configure the PortMaster for using 2 DNS Servers ? I can only see
>that one entry can be entered.

set namesvc dns

set nameserver 1 206.26.128.1
set nameserver 2 206.26.128.2

or whatever your ip addresses are

>2.- Since we are using the Portmaster as a router, how can I monitor the
packet
>traffic entering the Modems and hardwire link.

Using the pmtrace utility and a filter or even better - get a good network
traffic monitoring package.

>3.- If the machine that serves DNS requests for the Livingston dies, a user
>connecting by modem isn't able to receive DNS requests for the secondary
>server or other. Is this correct ? This sounds strange for me. When this
>happens, I have to telnet to the exact IP of the router and then change the
>DNS entry to point the secondary server, this would enable users to log again
>in a normal way and have DNS requests go outside the PortMaster.

Only if they are using server assigned ip addresses and the secondary isn't
specified in the PM or if they are using user specified dns server
addresses and both aren't listed.

-Robert

Robert Boyle - Engineer robert@garden.net WAN/Intranet/Internet Services
Garden Networks: New Jersey's Premier Internet Service Provider
50 Diller Ave. / Newton, NJ 07860 (201)300-9211 10AM-5PM EST
28 Route 46 West / Pine Brook, NJ 07058 (201) 808-5558 10AM-7PM EST
http://www.garden.net Automatic Response: info@garden.net