Re: Modem Table File

mike@bcinternet.com
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:34:01 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Captain Scarlet wrote:

> > > The PMcommand utility runs on a UNIX platform from a shell that transfers a
> > > file of Portmaster commands from a file on the UNIX host to the Portmaster
> > > and executes them in the order found in the file. PMcommand uses TCP port 1643.
> >
> > That unnerves me, can I have some more information on this please.
> > My portmaster accepts connections on port 1643, and I would like to
> > disable that. Also what is the syntax to login to port 1643. Do I enter
> > the !root password in a special way?
>
> Why would you want to disable port 1643? If you do that neither
> pmcommand nor pmconsole will work. (By the way, you can't "log into"
> 1643 - it's a listener port for the PortMaster Console's proprietary
> command protocol, which pmcommand also uses.)
Sorry, I just spent the morning being SYN flooded among other
things. I wasn't sure what port 1634 was used for, and I want to close
all possible holes. If it uses a proprietary protocol that's all right.

> If you're dead-set on preventing the port's use, put a packet filter
> on ether0 that denies packets destined for it.

I was mainly interested/worried in what else it could be used for.
Thanx for clearing this up.

need sleep,
mike...