Re: Netmask

Kelley Lingerfelt (pm2e@ns.cococo.net)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:20:51 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, John G. Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Scott A. Lagos wrote:
>
> > I have a Class C address (111.222.333.0) that I have subnetted to a .240. I
> > allow dial-in users to dial in, get a single Static IP and then do a
> > framed-route for one of the subnets. Currently in the netmask table on the
> > PM I have:
> >
> > Stored Netmask
> > 111.222.333.0 255.255.255.240
> >
> > My question is do I have to put:
> >
> > 111.222.333.16 255.255.255.240
> > 111.222.333.32 255.255.255.240
> >
> > and so on everytime I want to route another subnet from that class C across
> > the PM or is the 111.222.333.0 255.255.255.240 enough? I seem to think not.
> > Please advise.
>
> You are correct, you do not have to enter the netmask for each
> subnetwork. The stored netmask defines all the subnetworks.

I like the sounds of this, and it's sounds very logical, but when I tried
this it did not work, I had a connection dialed up and had a netmask like
this defined, but it would not route, as soon as I added the netmask
111.222.333.32 255.255.255.240, voila it worked, what could I have done
wrong, for that to work and not the other. I had the user in a radius
table with a framed route(xxx.xxx.xxx.32 xxx.xxx.xxx.33 1) and a netmask of
255.255.255.240.

Later
Kelley