Re: ISPs in trouble? (fwd)

Damien T. (damient@livewire.digicity.net)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:06:31 -0800

At 01:57 AM 11/13/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Based on what I've read (I think in the magazine "tele.com") and If I
>didn't mistake your previous post, the telcos are trying to SINGLE US OUT
>because we are overloading their phone switches with people spending hours
>and hours of time online. I think the magazine cited that in one city, the
>average length per call more than doubled due to people calling ISPs.

I've been following all of this is the trade press as well. What amazes me
is that just last week one of our employees received an offer from Pacific
Bell to add another residential line, and get 5 months of free access to
Pac Bell Internet.

How can they bitch about ISPs overloading the infrastructure from one side of
their corporate face, while the other is not only incenting the addition of
more residential lines, but incenting it with INTERNET ACCESS!

It's such a joke, that I've saved the flyer for my inevitable future
petitions and attendance at CPUC meetings down the road some time.

Sheesh!