Re: ISPs in trouble? (fwd)

Owen DeLong (owen@delong.sj.ca.us)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:03:36 -0800

> At 01:57 AM 11/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >Based on what I've read (I think in the magazine "tele.com") and If I
> >didn't mistake your previous post, the telcos are trying to SINGLE US OUT
> >because we are overloading their phone switches with people spending hours
> >and hours of time online. I think the magazine cited that in one city, the
> >average length per call more than doubled due to people calling ISPs.
>
> I've been following all of this is the trade press as well. What amazes me
> is that just last week one of our employees received an offer from Pacific
> Bell to add another residential line, and get 5 months of free access to
> Pac Bell Internet.

Gee, that seems totally seperate now, doesn't it?

> How can they bitch about ISPs overloading the infrastructure from one side of
> their corporate face, while the other is not only incenting the addition of
> more residential lines, but incenting it with INTERNET ACCESS!

Same thing as the ISDN tariff proposal. They claim they don't have the people
or resources to handle existing ISDN and need a rate increase to support it,
but they're still agressively marketing ISDN. Go figure. Then, when we called
them on this in A-95-12-043, they claimed that our questions were "irrelevant
to the proceeding". How's that for double talk.

> It's such a joke, that I've saved the flyer for my inevitable future
> petitions and attendance at CPUC meetings down the road some time.

Good luck.

> Sheesh!

Owen