Re: ISPs in trouble? (fwd)

Jason Hatch (zone@loomis.berkshire.net)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 02:17:40 -0500 (EST)

Well we sure picked a shitty business to get into. It appears we're
competing against everyone from local telcos to AOL and MSN. Heck, as I
write this, I'm watching a commercial where AT&T is selling services to
get businesses online. A few minutes before, it was Discovery Online.

It's one thing to be competing with large companies, but it's another
altogether to be competing with a company that can take advantage of
internal pricing to get ahead.

So why don't we do something about it? It appears to me (and I've said
this before, and others have said it before me) that the only way the
independant ISP is going to survive is by uniting and forming a strong
lobby who has the power to make sure that these anti-trust issues are kept
under control. Has anyone started such a "lobby" or club? It appears if
enough ISPs can make small contributions the financial power of them as a
whole could make us the strongest presence on the net, which is what we
should be.

-Jason