Re: Filter to keep people out of Microsoft Windows Network?

Jared Hall (jhall@tbi.net)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:21:18 -0500

At 01:05 PM 11/12/96 -0500, Carl Oppedahl wrote:

>If I could know these port numbers, then I could set up filters to keep the
>outside world from sniffing around the WFW network.
>
>Alternatively, I wonder if there is some way to tell Wolverine that it
>should use, say, only Netbeui or IPX but not TCP/IP for its WFW networking,
>and to pass TCP/IP packets only to Winsock and not to the printer-sharing
>and file-sharing parts of WFW. If such a setup could be made in Wolverine
>this would be worth doing, seems to me.
>
>Maybe someone else has already figured all this out, in which case I would
>be most grateful if you could share this with me.

M$ will use both NetBEUI AND a compatible TCP/IP stack (if available) for Peer
Networking. The Wolverine stack is such a compatible stack as are some
commercial Win31 stacks.

Of course, you can always install the Trumpet TCP/IP stack and WinPkt, and
setup
the vectors. But my experience is that the M$ stack will outperform the
Trumpet/WinPkt arrangement. So...

the IP ports in question are 137, 139. (Also seen 'em on 138 too). Filter them
(137, 138, 139) and you should be OK.

The M$ Web site has more information on, and the specification for,
the SMB (Server Message Block) protocol.

Jared Hall ## ## # ## Tampa Bay Interactive
## #### ## 1314 Tampa Rd, #120
jhall@tbi.net ## ## # ## Palm Harbor, FL 34683
(813) 781-2209 ## #### #### (http://www.tbi.net)

** See our telecom pages at http://www.tbi.net/~jhall **