Re: Cant get rid of USERNAMES (fwd)

J Rowley (jrowley@ra.mscnet.net)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 23:25:13 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Jeffrey Aizley wrote:

> We get this using standalone modems too...it has nothing to do with
> the init strings...it happens when the modems get too hot..
> you have to manually power cycle the modem and then reset
> the port on the pm...you can try better cooling systems, putting
> feet on the modems, getting steel cases....rack mounting...but

Exactly. I have about 60 Supra's here (talk about an oven) and found that
one way to keep them cool is velcro. :) No kidding. I'm actually standing
my modems on their side with velcro because I wanted to see if it would
keep them cooler before I build stands for them and amazingly, it works.
I rarely get a lockup now, whereas I'd have at least 7 or 8 each morning
before then. Didn't cure it, but it certainly cut lock-up's down to one
or two every few days.

You said it. I'd love to get a few PM3's to take over... :)

> We had a Practical Peripherals PM 288 burst into flames once right
> before my eyes... was pretty damn cool I must tell you.. and
> the funny thing was..once it stopped sizzling, the port went back
> to IDLE...

Wow! I had one (a Zoom 28.8) do almost the same thing. Of course, it
didn't help that I used a non-Zoom power supply by mistake (note: don't
try it at home, kids). We started to hear something growling in the modem
rack as I was manually resetting the Supra's about 5 minutes after adding
this new Zoom. Then suddenly... Poof! Kinda scary when you've got long
hair and your ear up to the modems trying to figure out which one's
'growling'...

Peace,

J Rowley Sleep is a sign of MSCNet
SysAdmin / WebMaster caffeine deprivation 407-668-0670
All around cool guy http://www.mscnet.net j@mscnet.net