Re: Filter for a PM2

Alex (alex@livingston.com)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 12:39:24 -0800

At 05:27 PM 11/11/96 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We are just testing a proxy server and would like to force people
>to make their HTTP (port 80) traffic over this proxy server and not directly
>to the internet. Let's say the proxy's server address is 199.199.199.10
>
>But all the other internet services such as IRC, REALAUDIO, gopher; Telnet
>Rlogin, whois, NNTP etc... should be allowed to direclty access the internet.
>
>We plan to force only the HTTP traffic over the proxy as this is the only one
>which is cached on the proxy server.
>
>Do I need to restrict HTTP traffic to the proxy server only and then
>explicity allow
>ALL other services (such ass IRC, NNTP etc..) in the filter?

Yes. Sounds right to me. Realize that you need to have your dial-in clients
configured to point their browser at that proxy server, or else you're going
to have a lot of unhappy customers.

alex
Alex Henthorn Livingston Enterprises
Senior Technical Product Manager 4464 Willow Road
Product Marketing Engineer Pleasanton, CA 94588
alex@livingston.com Voice 510-737-2156 Fax 510-426-8951