Re: Access to the net.

alexm@agetech.net
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:36:37 -0400

John G. Thompson wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Aug 1996 alexm@agetech.net wrote:
> >
> > strangest thing has been happening. I have been having complaints from
> > my ddedicated 28.8 customers that they are loosing the connection to the
> > internet constanly. They say that they can ping the machines on my
> > internal network but they cant access anything out of my network. For
> > like 2-3 minutes they can access anything at all out of my network.
>
> Sounds like a routing issue.

Ok where should I start looking for to find this problem. I have a Cisco
2501.

> > I dont know why this is happening. Since my dialup customer are only on
> > for a little while at a time I ASSUME they just dont notice but my
> > direct customers do. I have some customers on ISDN direct using Ascend
> > but they do not report outage at all. The only ones that are having
> > trouble are the ones on the portmaster. Lets look at the ports.
> >
> > pm1> show s29
> > ----------------------- Current Status - Port S29
> > ---------------------------
> > Input: 613110629 Parity Errors: 0
> > Output: 625072045 Framing Errors: 59
> > Pending: 0 Overrun Errors: 2460
>
> The overrun errors need to be looked at. MIght be a flow control
> mismatch.

Where should I look to correct this.

> > Modem Config: Configured usr

pm1> show modem usr
Short Name: usr
Long Name: USRobotics Sportster and Courier
Optimal Speed: 115200
Type: User Defined

Init Script: Send Command Wait for Reply
------------------------------
-----------------------------
AT&FM0Q2S2=255S13=1\r OK

> What does you init string look like?
>

> > For 11 days up, that is quite a bit of overrunn errors dont you think.
> > Would they cause this problem?

Dial Group: 0
pm1> show s1
----------------------- Current Status - Port S1
---------------------------
Input: 87802924 Parity Errors: 0
Output: 452587177 Framing Errors: 37
Pending: 0 Overrun Errors: 254
Modem Status: DCD+ CTS+

Active Configuration Default Configuration
-------------------- ---------------------
Port Type: Netwrk Login/Netwrk (Dial In)
(Security)
Baud Rates: 115200 115200,115200,115200
Flow Control: RTS/CTS RTS/CTS
Modem Control: on on
Modem Config: Configured usr

Remote Host: ppp-mia-48.agetech.net
Netmask: 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0
Interface: ptp1 (PPP,Quiet,Compres (PPP,Quiet,Compress)
Mtu: 1500 1500
Async Map: L:00000000 R:000a0000 00000000

here is the most used port s1

Here is s2

pm1> show s2
----------------------- Current Status - Port S2
---------------------------
Input: 94260136 Parity Errors: 0
Output: 437491640 Framing Errors: 1
Pending: 0 Overrun Errors: 283
Modem Status: DCD+ CTS+

Here is s3

Dial Group: 0
pm1> show s3
----------------------- Current Status - Port S3
---------------------------
Input: 64603002 Parity Errors: 0
Output: 338655128 Framing Errors: 14
Pending: 0 Overrun Errors: 204
Modem Status: DCD+ CTS+

Here is s4

pm1> show s4
----------------------- Current Status - Port S4
---------------------------
Input: 90426121 Parity Errors: 0
Output: 204715729 Framing Errors: 14
Pending: 0 Overrun Errors: 424
Modem Status: DCD+ CTS+

Well????

> Might, might not. You do need to fix it. Are all ports running high
> overrun errors?
>
> > pm1> set ether0 netmask 255.255.255.0
> > ether0 netmask changed from 205.152.26.128 to 255.255.255.0
> > pm1> save all
> >

> > The netmask was incorrect. Would that be the problem?????? remember it
> > works fine its just
> > an intermitent problem.
>
> I don't think the netmask was the problem.
>
> > Name Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Collis Resets Queue
> > ether0 8812443 1 8120472 0 10900 0 0
> >
> > Doesnt look too bad?
>
> Nope. Looks okay. How about the upstream router?
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Check that the dynamic ip address pool is known by the upstream router.
> If it is in the same network as the ether0, there isn't a problem. If
> you have used a set from another network make sure the upstream router
> knows that it is there by RIP or a static route.

My router is on the same network as the portmaster.