Re: A Livingston default modem string is bad for a USR modem

John G. Thompson (jgt10@livingston.com)
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 13:42:56 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Carl Oppedahl wrote:

> Here is a modem init string from PortMaster Version 3.4.2L:
>
> Command> show modem usr-v34
> Short Name: usr-v34
> Long Name: USR Courier/Sportster V.34
> Optimal Speed: 115200
> Type: System Defined
>
> Init Script: Send Command Wait for Reply
> ------------------------------ -----------------------------
> AT&F1&W\r OK
>
> This init string is sent to the modem every time the router is reset, and
> every time the port is reset, and every time the modem loses carrier.

Ah, no. The init string is NOT sent on every call termination noted by
DCD drop.

> The
> bad thing about this string is the &W, which rewrites the flash EPROM in the
> modem. The problem is that there is a limited life for any flash EPROM, a
> limited number of times it can be rewritten. This init string wastefully
> consumes some of that limited life every time the init string is executed.

The above would be true if the PM sent it every time the carrier dropped.
If it did we (Livingston) CERTAINLY WOULD NOT put the &w on the string.

> It would also be desirable if the init string contained a command to fix the
> DTE rate. In my setup I am using the modem for dialout, and I want to be
> sure I get error correction (&m5) and fixed DTE baud rate (&b1). So here is
> a different init string:
>
> at&f1&c1&d2&b1&m5\r

The &f1 sets the hardware flowcontrol template which includes fixed DTE rate.
The &m5 is something I'll ahve to look at. THANKS!

> The complete list of possible USR init commands may be gotten by connecting
> a terminal emulator to the modem and typing AT$, AT&$, and ATs$.

Or reading the manual.

JGT

--
John G. Thompson      Livingston Enterprises Inc.    Phone: (800) 458-9966
JOAT(MON)             6920-220 Koll Centre Pkwy.       Fax: (510) 426-8951