Re: How can I determine average per customer utilization

Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea.com)
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 12:14:04 -0800

Mark Colasante wrote:

> We would like to begin tracking some statistical information for our dialup
> Internet access services. We are using PM2e units and the Microcom ISPorte
> racks as well as Cisco 2501 routers. We are not using any SNMP tools, nor
> do we currently offer ISDN dial-up. What are some ways that we can derive:
>
> 1. Average hours online per customer per month.
> 2. Average bandwidth used per customer per month.
>
> We do use radius accounting but don't really have any utilities to analyze
> the data.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, if anyone has already determined
> their average per customer usage statistics, would you mind sharing some of
> your data so that we may compare our results?

We have a program that will dump your detail file into a SQL database.
Then
getting this kind of information is cake. We use Crystal Reports to
generate information like the above. A SQL Statement like:

Select UserName, Avg(AcctSessionTime/60), Avg(AcctInputOctets),
Avg(AcctOutputOctets)
From Calls
Where CallDate >= '10/1/96' and CallDate < '11/1/96'
Group By UserName

would give you the information you want. Nice and simple. :)

--
Dale E. Reed Jr.  (daler@iea.com)
 Internet Engineering Associates   |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs