Re: Ascend Max-Up program E-mail correction (fwd)

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 21:04:15 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, MegaZone wrote:

> Gee, let's piss off people and make sure it spreads so our rep is ruined.
>
> Hey, seriously, why doesn't everyone pissed off about this complain on
> comp.dcom.servers and comp.dcom.isdn - that'll hurt their rep more than
> preaching to the choir here.

I've already posted their spam with my standard "drop dead letter" to
news.admin.net-abuse.misc.

> I seem to recall there being a federal law against unsolicited fax
> transmissions... Anyone recall the number?

There is, it's in Title 47.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html

The law calls for a civil penalty of $500 per transmission. Some people
feel that the law's definition of "telephone facsimile machine" is broad
enough to cover a printer-equipped computer, thus covering junk e-mail
under the same statute. Standard disclaimer, IANAL, blah blah...

-- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net --
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.
805-892-2133 805-289-1000 805-578-2121