Re: PM3 Data over Voice?

Marty Likier (marty@livingston.com)
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 10:15:06 -0800

At 09:50 AM 11/5/96 -0600, you wrote:
>I assume a PM3 without modem cards will work for DOV no problems, but what
>if you do have modem cards? The Ascend Max will (I'm told by them) allow
>you to have two dial-in numbers and set one of the numbers to ISDN only,
>meaning it could do DOV. If a voice call comes in on the other number, it
>goes to the modems. Is it possible to do something like this on the PM3?

IMHO, what you describe above seems like a kludge.

The PM3 supports DOV ISDN calls with or without modem cards installed.

Here is what we do. When a call arrives on an incoming PRI channel the PM3
first looks for HDLC frames, and if present, processes the ISDN call. If no
HDLC frames are present, we bring up a DSP to start answer tone and train-up
from there. That means one hunt group for all ISDN (data or voice) and
modems calls.

--Marty
Marty Likier Livingston Worldwide Headquarters
Product Marketing Mgr. 6920 Koll Center Pkwy #220
(800) 458-9966 Pleasanton, CA 94566 USA
(510) 485-6794 (510) 244-1903 (FAX)
marty@livingston.com Web: www.livingston.com