Re: OR-M (functionality & opinions)

Alex (alex@livingston.com)
Fri, 01 Nov 1996 10:04:22 -0800

At 11:16 AM 11/1/96 -0600, you wrote:

> I'm looking at the OR-M as a potential solution for a customer and
>have a few questions:
>

> The unit has a single async port and a PCMCIA slot -- I'm presuming
>they are both usable simultaneously giving you the potential for a dual
>dial-up connection -- is that correct?
Yes. Think of the OR-M as a mini PortMaster--everything you know about the
PM holds true for the OR-M.

>Or do they act like the ethernet
>options (BNC/AUI/TP) on the PM's where they are mutually exclusive?
No.

> Regardless of the first question, my second question has to do
>with how the OR-M dial-up connection is established with a PM2ER. Does
>the OR-M have the intelligence built into it to hold the phone numbers,
>logon-ids, passwords, and init strings and it controls the connection? Or
>is there an external source that has to be involved...?
Yes. Again--just like the PM...

> Understanding the availability of assigned static IP addresses and
>even entire class C's to a dial-up async port on the PM2ER based upon
>Radius' authentication (and presuming the answer to the first question is
>"yes, you can do that"), will the OR-M handle the routing between:
>
> 1 Ethernet Port (a unique subnet or class address)
> 1 Async port (an address assigned by Radius)
> 1 PCMCIA port (an address assigned and possibly of another
> subnet or class address than the async port)
When you want to have variable length subnet masks on different ports, we
will support that with the release of our OSPF enhancements--which contains
the VLSM stuff.

Now, let me understand clearly--you want your WAN routed interfaces to be
"assigned" an address? What is the application?

> Last question: Of those that are using the OR-M can you please
>respond with your opinions as to how the response is from a network
>situation over a dial-up connection and as to whether you have done what
>I'm asking about or not....?

I'll let others do so...Hope this helps thus far.

alex
Alex Henthorn Livingston Enterprises
Senior Technical Product Manager 6920 Koll Center Parkway #220
Product Marketing Engineer Pleasanton, CA 94566
alex@livingston.com Voice 510-485-6787 Fax 510-244-1903