Re: ComOS 3.14

Hal Dorsman (hal@montana.com)
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:00:33 -0700

> From owner-portmaster-users@livingston.com Tue Nov 28 08:53 MST 1995
> Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 07:21:03 -0800 (PST)
> From: Turnando Fuad <fuad@ns.net>
> To: Charles Scott <cscott@freeway.net>
> Cc: portmaster-users@livingston.com, support@livingston.com
> Subject: Re: ComOS 3.14
>
> Thanks for the response. So we are not seeing things afterall:-).
>
> We did not seem to have the authenticating problem on the our other PMs
> running ComOS 3.12 and ComOS 3.13. When our auth server was down users
> were still able to log into these PMs.
>
> We've put in a call to Livingston but have not gotten a response back yet.
>
> Regards,
>
> Turnando Fuad
> NSNet
>
> On Tue, 21 Nov 1995, Charles Scott wrote:
>

> > Turnado:
> > Yes, we've seen exactly the same behavior.
> > PM's have had a bug for some time that if they can't get the accounting
> > data to the accounting host and get up to some 100 acounting entries
> > backed up, they will stop authenticating! This is a bug that Livingston
> > has known about for some time.
> > The new problem with 3.14 compounds the problem. What happens now is
> > that the PM periodically stops talking to the accounting host. To get it
> > going again, you can just use "set accounting {address}" again with the

Didn't work for us.

---SNIP!----

> > On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, Turnando Fuad wrote:
> >
> > > Our Radius acct server was down for a few hours today and we noticed that
> > > one of our PMs with ComOS 3.14 stopped accepting dial-in connections

---SNIP!---

The problem with 3.14 was so bad that we downgraded back to 3.12, despite
Livingston's recommendations not to. They admitted knowing about the error, but
had no hope about a timely fix to what basically made the entire OS unusable.
My advice to anyone considering upgrading... DON'T!

Hal

Hal Dorsman email: hal@montana.com
Systems Administrator phone: (406)721-4952
Internet Connect Services, 2701 North Reserve Missoula, Montana, 59801 USA