Re: "Several Hundred RIP Routes"

Igor V. Semenyuk (iga@sovam.com)
Fri, 24 Nov 1995 21:07:25 +0300 (MMT)

Actually, there's no need to argue about big internetworks running
or not running RIP - after all this is a portmaster users list. Just
imagine a stack of say 10 PM2e-30 servicing 300 phone lines. You need
to turn on RIP on the PMs and set netmasks to 255.255.255.255 in
order to make this to work as one unit from the customers' point of view.

Now in the worst case you have 300 host routes in all your portmasters.

One may say it's rather unusual case (300 line in one location). Maybe.
But if the PMs don't scale... we'd better look for something else.

So, the question remains: Can anyone confirm or deny the performance
degradation when a PM has some substantial amount of rip routes?

If so, what can be done about it? You can't filter some rip routes -
in cases like the one above you need all the routes (btw, PMs can't
selectively filter RIP updates).

It is possible to split up the PMs into groups of 2-3-4 units
(depending on where the degradation starts). One can put the groups
on the separate network segments and pass only 255.255.255.0 routes
between them (in fact it's how RIP does it, and you can't change
it with RIPv1). Thus every box in the group will have at maximum
30*N host routes + M prefix /24 routes, where N is the number of boxes
in the group and M is the number of the groups. So far I see this as the
only solution.

Also a related question - what is the memory requirements for routing
table in PM? How many routes can the standard box bear?

--
Igor V. Semenyuk                    Internet: iga@sovam.com
SOVAM Teleport                      Phone:    +7 095 258 4170