Re: username on one of the ports

Allen J. Newton (anewton@kazoo.basis.com)
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 10:54:46 -0700 (MST)

Marc Silverman wrote:
> Subject: Re: username on one of the ports
>
> We are having EXACTLY the same thing happen here. It's on a relativly
> new (4 mo. or so) PM-2E-30 running 3.1.4. The port effected is also s27, and
> since it always appears to think that a user is attempting to log in, we can't
> use the port.

I didn't say anything, though this rang a bell when I first heard about it.

But when I first bought our PortMaster, I tested every single port with a
serial terminal before bringing the thing online, and port S27 tested bad.
No I/O whatsoever through the terminal, however "sho all" showed that the
byte counts were indeed increasing. At the time, ALL the ports registered
being in "USERNAME" by virtue of having modem control turned off by default
(which I later changed to "on" for modem ports, and later still turned on
for unused ports when I started using "pmwho").

Livingston agreed that the port was bad (strange it would be S27, though),
and RMA'd the S20-29 card for me. The new one went through the same tests,
and passed, so I've been happy since.

But I'm wondering if I had the same problem.

Have you tried connecting a serial terminal to the port? I'd recommend
that test if you haven't...

Allen J. Newton     BASIS International Ltd,  (505)-345-5232
5901 Jefferson NE,  Albuquerque, New Mexico   87109
anewton@basis.com   Network Administrator     <*>