Re: ComOS 3.14

Charles Scott (cscott@freeway.net)
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:21:45 -0500 (EST)

Turnado:
Yes, we've seen exactly the same behavior.
PM's have had a bug for some time that if they can't get the accounting
data to the accounting host and get up to some 100 acounting entries
backed up, they will stop authenticating! This is a bug that Livingston
has known about for some time.
The new problem with 3.14 compounds the problem. What happens now is
that the PM periodically stops talking to the accounting host. To get it
going again, you can just use "set accounting {address}" again with the
same address. That apparently resets something in the PM and the backed
up accounting data floods out.
Since Livingston hasn't fixed the old bug, your PM will stop
authenticating some time after it stops sending out the accounting data.
This is a bad situation since we really NEED the accounting data and the
connect/disconnect log entries aren't reliable enough to use for that.
We can't have the accounting enabled on the PM because it is then
guarenteed to stop authenting at some point.
We have also seen a similar problem arise with authentication between
the PM and our authentication host. This has only happened once, but was
easily identifiable as a failure at the PM. I suspect that there is some
kind of low level problem with the PM's IP I/O which manifests this way.
Livingston MUST be working hard on this problem because they apparently
don't have time to respond to my E-Mail on this and other problems anymore.

Chuck Scott, Pres.
Freeway, Inc.
cscott@freeway.net