Re: Hacking Radiusd?

David Carmean (dave@west.net)
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 23:50:59 -0800 (PST)

You may want to try the Merit RADIUS distribution instead.

If you can use PAP/CHAP for PPP logins (and highly discourage SLIP
on General Principles anyay :o) it will detect if the user is attempting
a PPP or shell login, and respond accordingly. You use the same username
in either case. There are "default" users for "dumb", "ppp", and "slip"
users. It's a little more complicated to set up, but *much* more flexible.

See
<http://home.merit.edu/webstuff/radius/>

for more info.

On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Michael Farralon wrote:

[snip]

> Bascially, I'd like to modify the source so that if a PPP or SLIP user
> wants to fall back to shell mode, they can precede their username with a
> '!' character which would cause radiusd to authenticate them in the usual
> manner (all accounts will be set to Password = UNIX), but instead of
> starting up the type of connection specified in the raddb/users file,
> would instead return:
>
> User-Service-Type = Login-User,
> Login-Service = Rlogin
>
> which presumably would cause the portmaster to initiate an rlogin
> connection to the default host.

[snip]

David Carmean WB6YZM DC574 dave@west.net
System/Network Administrator, WestNet Communications, Inc.
PGP Key Fingerprint: CD 1C C1 15 3E E3 1D 41 ED C2 3E A8 D6 29 BD C4