Re: routing from portmaster 2e question (fwd)

Colin Pinkham (colin@iafrica.com)
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 15:56:48 +0000

> On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Steve Davies wrote:
>
> > If the client want more than a few addresses, but less than a full
> > Class-C, then proceed as follows:
>
> Okay - so y user wants to have 16 usable IP addresses - so I woul have to
> subnet with 255.255.255.232 - right.

255.255.255.240 or 255.255.255.224 depending on expansion plans.

> > - Allocate a separate class-C for each different size subnet you want
> > to allocate. (We use 16, 32 and 64 address subnets).
>
> So if I subnet as per the above mentioned mask it should be okay.
>
> > - Do "add netmask a.b.c.0 255.255.255.224" (etc) on all your portmasters
>
> On ALLL my portmaster right??

Yes, as you probably don't know which PM he dials into.

> > - In your radius database, add a single "Framed-Route" entry, for the
> > base address of the subnet eg:
> > Pxxx Password = "UNIX",
> > User-Service-Type = Framed-User,
> > Framed-Protocol = PPP,
> > Framed-Address = 196.7.117.74,
>
> Yet it doesn't matter if this address is in the subnet? Is this the IP
> address of the PM port? or is it the address of the remote system? I'm am
> confused as to who gets this IP address.

He'll get assigned that address just like any other user using
dynamic ip. To route the rest of the network/subnet, use the
Framed-Route as mentioned below.

> > Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.248,
> > Framed-Route="196.7.162.8 196.7.117.74 1"
> > (Note: we include the Framed-Netmask, but from what Brian says the PM
> > ignores this so it is basically documentation...)
>

> > - On your CISCO router (that feeds your PMs [you _do_ have a CISCO,
> > right... ;-)]) do "ip route a.b.c.subnet 255.255.255.mask a.b.c.subnet".
> > ie in the example above, "ip route 196.7.162.8 255.255.255.248
> > 196.7.162.8". This acts as a "clue" for your CISCO so when it hears the
>
> I thought the IP route told the Cisco where to route a specific set of
> addresses? This seems to say "Route the 196.7.162.8 addresses - looking
> at a netmask of 255.255.255.248 - through 196.7.162.8. This seems odd -
> shouldn't you tell the Cisco where to route the 196.7.162.8 subnet to?

It is basically a kludge, the Cisco hears the host route
announcement, and converts it into a subnet route. The static address
is not used as it listens to RIP broadcasts.

> > host route announced by the PM it reinterprets it as a subnet route.
> > [You need to add routes like this for every subnet you are using for
> > dialup routing]
> >
> > *** BTW: Thanks to Colin Pinkham of Internet Africa who put this whole
> > scheme together ("Hi, Col!")
>
> Thanks Colin - now if I can just get it to work.
>
> BTW: I set one ip route in my Cisco that was incorrect and can't for the
> life of me seem to get rid of it - whats the Cisco command to get rid of
> an ip route?

no ip route <ip address> <netmask> <destination> <metric>

In other words, exactly the same command as before, but with a "no"
in front.

Oh, make sure the Cisco is listening to RIP.

Colin