Re: RADIUS porting....start with Merit!

David Carmean (dave@west.net)
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 16:18:31 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, John W. Temples wrote:

> > I am in the same boat with the SCP patch. The merit version compiled
> > fine and seems to work ok, but my users all are used to the SCP options
> > and changing things now is not an option. (things got quite spam like
> > last time I changed the authentication method).
>
> I looked at the SCP patch, and I thought it was extremely ugly since
> the S/C/P show up in the accounting records, and I thought the idea of
> telling users to use an upper case S followed by lower case signon
> would be just too confusing for them. "But you said always use lower
> case!" etc. And every user had to be put in the "users" file, several
> times over.

Yes, actually, it was not what I thought it was. Where did
user.service come from? Is that the one called MCS?

> I found it not too difficult to patch the Livingston RADIUS server to
> honor the User-Service-Type coming from the PM to at least be able to
> automatically distinguish between shell logins and PPP logins with PAP.
> So I just have "DEFAULT" and "DEFAULT.ppp" entries in "users", the
> users don't have to be told to do anything unusual when they log in,
> they have both shell and PPP access automatically with the same
> account, and I don't have to maintain the "users" file.

This is exactly how the Merit RADIUS works now, and I would
do the same except I don't want to tell 800 users they have to change
to PAP :o( But since almost nobody uses SLIP anymore (except me) I
should probably migrate to PAP/CHAP anyway.

> The only downside is that SLIP can't be offered automatically, though I
> see no real need to offer it, and if an exception came up, it could be
> handled by adding the user to the "users" file.
> --
> John W. Temples, III || Providing the first public access Internet
> Gulfnet Kuwait || site in the Arabian Gulf region

David Carmean WB6YZM DC574 dave@west.net
System/Network Administrator, WestNet Communications, Inc.
PGP Key Fingerprint: CD 1C C1 15 3E E3 1D 41 ED C2 3E A8 D6 29 BD C4