Re: Radius For Nt... why not use a Linux box?

Owen DeLong (owen@delong.sj.ca.us)
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 08:26:42 -0800

> >>Here's my scream for a port to NT.
>
> At 01:02 AM 11/3/95 UNDEFINED, Dan Graupman wrote:
>
> >As an interim solution couldn't you just put together a cheap 386 system
> >running Linux to handle RADIUS?
>
> Sure, but in that case couldn't a UnixWare user just put together a BSD box,
> or a VAX user just throw together a little HP/UX machine? or maybe a SCO
> machine... you see what I mean. We want an elegant solution.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then why do you even HAVE NT?

> I don't like
> basing my livelihood on a "cheap 386 system" I would rather run RADIUS on 2
> fault tolerant NT machines which have been running w/o ANY problems since
> March w/ zero downtime. I can manage _everything_ from anywhere in the world
> quickly and easily. I can hire people that simply know how to operate
> Windows and easily show them how to add users, add rights, setup a virtual
> web server, etc... You simply can't have a novice do high level
> administration on UNIX... (please no flames!) I want a reliable, scalable,
> multi-processor, fault tolerant, secure OS and NT fits the bill perfectly.

You're absolutely right. However, if you want an elegant solution, with a
reliable, scalable, multi-processor, fault tolerant, secure OS, you should
definitely not be using NOVICES to manage your system, and you should
not be using NT. The security in NT is pathetic. The fault tolerance is
worse. In terms of scaleable multi-processer OS's that are stable, I can't
think of one more modern than VM. Not that I reccommend VM, quite the contrary,
but it is stable, secure, fault tolerant, and multi-processor.

You _CAN_ have a novice do PORTMASTER administration on UNIX. The chances
of an NT port of RADIUS being any easier to administer than the UNIX version
are somewhere between slim and none. You'll still probably have to edit
a text file. (Can your novice handle that?) Otherwise, you'll have to
do what I'm doing, build a form-based interface to the dbm database and
let your novices manage that. Form-based interfaces run just as well (or actually
better) under X as they do NT.

> -Robert
> Robert Boyle - Engineer robert@garden.net
> Garden Networks: Northern New Jersey's Premier Internet Service Provider
> 50 Diller Ave. Newton, NJ 07860 (201)300-9211 9AM-5PM EST
> http://www.garden.net Automatic Response: info@garden.net

Owen DeLong