Re: URGENT**** (fwd)

Fletcher Kittredge (fkittred@biddeford.com)
Thu, 02 Nov 1995 13:34:56 -0500

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995 09:51:51 -0500 (EST) Charles Scott wrote:

> Brian:
> I think you should be carefull about making such statements. We had
> this happen to us also, just after updating a PM to 3.1.4. There is
> nothing I can find in our host or PM configurations which could have
> caused the symptoms we saw. We have never seen this happen with anything
> else, and it only affected the hosts ability to talk to the PM, nothing
> else! (RIP updatess?????)
> Like the others, our PM sent the authentication request to our RADIUS
> server, but the RADIUS server was unable to get the reply back to the
> PM. Our logs show that the authentication request was received and the
> response sent many times for each connection attemp, but the PM never
> received it. Since you don't need to do anything to the PM to clear the
> problem, it's obvious that it's the port on the RADIUS host that gets
> trashed. The question is why!
> It sure will be interesting to see a routes table from a host that's
> having this problem.

Um, Chuck my friend, is it possible that the radius host is running
more than one IP interface? Perhaps your radius host also home to a
web server which is aliased to multiple IP addresses?

What you describe is the classic case of the portmaster discarding
authenication responses because they appear to be from a different
address (interface) then the authenication address was sent to. This
not a bug in the PM, which is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

regards,
fletcher