RE: anybody seen this with 3.1.4??

Ryan S. McClune (rsm@reign.net)
Sun, 29 Oct 1995 16:47:59 -0900

We see this when _any_ one does PAP authentication.
Win'95, linux, Trump Winsock, even reports on this
list of people seeing it with ConfigPPP on the Mac.

In order to do PAP you have to have some kind of network
connection to the PM, so we thought that is what it was
reporting. Probably wrong. . who knows. It would be
nice if the portmaster would log a failed PAP login with
the username. As it is now, we get the IPX stuff, then a
ppp_sync timeout. Not very helpful in debugging when
someone is using all uppercase as their username or
trying to figure out if someone is trying hack into your box. :)

----------
From: Brian 'MegaZone' Bikowicz[SMTP:megazone@livingston.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 1995 8:31 AM
To: portmaster-users@livingston.com
Subject: Re: anybody seen this with 3.1.4??

Once upon a time davetay@hq.tcfarm.com shaped the electrons to say...
>Oct 29 09:42:35 ts1 dialnet: port S0 PPP succeeded dest Negotiated ipx
>909090FF
>just upgraded yesterday and all of a sudden start getting this in the
>syslog??

Yes, just about everyone has seen this. It seems to related to Win95
users for some, but we ae still looking into it. It doesn't seem to
be connected to any problems, just the syslogging. So we haven't been
too worried about it.

-MZ

--
Livingston Enterprises Technical Support
Phone: 800-458-9966      FAX: 510-426-8951