Re: Maximum serial cable length for hardwired machine?

Robert Boyle (robert@gate.garden.net)
Sat, 28 Oct 1995 02:51:09 -0400

At 02:28 PM 10/27/95 -0400, Brain Tao wrote:

> How far can I pull a cable like this without signal degradation?
>A common figure I hear thrown around is 50 feet. Is this RS-232 or
>RS-422 or what? I estimate I will need about 80 to 100 feet of cable
>run to reach their router. Will installing a couple of signal
>repeaters be all that is required? Does anyone have any experience
>with hardwired serial connections in the 50 to 200-foot distance
>range? The PM-2e and their router will be communicating at 57.6kbps.

I have several clients that are running serial connections over cat 3
twisted pair over 1000 feet w/o any boosters. Most of the connections are
running at 19.2k or 38.4k, however... I do believe that at least 3-4 are
running at 57.6k. I am not aware of any problems. One other issue is that
they are using software flow control (xon/off) instead of hardware because
they are only using pins 1,2,3,& 7. Nothing is preventing you from using all
4 pairs of the cable for hardware flow control (rts/cts) Just my
experience... I don't know about the theory, but in these particular cases
seems to work fine.

-Robert
Robert Boyle - Engineer robert@garden.net
Garden Networks: Northern New Jersey's Premier Internet Service Provider
50 Diller Ave. Newton, NJ 07860 (201)300-9211 9AM-5PM EST
http://www.garden.net Automatic Response: info@garden.net