RE: PPP lock-ups? (fwd)

Mark Hittinger (bugs@ns1.win.net)
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 11:42:40 -0400 (EDT)

> From: David Jirku <djirku@echo-on.net>
> To: Bob Fitton <bob@capella.com>
> cc: portmaster-users@livingston.com
> > >Hi. We've been having a little trouble with our PPP connections >(and
> > > SLIP for that matter). It seems that users are >experiencing frequent
> > >lock-ups. While we are not sure what is >happening, we know that it only
> > >happens on PPP/SLIP >connections; rlogin's seem to be fine for hours on
> > >end.

I have seen this in two cases:

1. Sudden modem line noise syndrome. V.FC and V.34 modems can get very
funky if their links suddenly become poor. I would try configuring
the modem to only accept 21600 or 24000 and see what happens.
(I'm assuming you might be getting 28800 or 26400 already :-) )

2. Multiple IP # allocation. There is a fencepost error in your dynamic
IP allocation across several servers. There is a condition where
two people will wind up with the same ip #.

Also check the cables on the modems on the portmaster. Make sure they carry
the required cts/rts signals!

One more thing - we have seen a lot of weirdo lan problems since we've
started putting up windows95. Do you have windows95 boxes on your lan
now? We suspect bogus packets etc.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
Internet Manager