Re: Which modem brand to use?

Chris Woods (cjwoods@usa1.com)
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 09:15:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Yoon W. Kim wrote:

> In setting up an ISP operation, what is the "best" brand of
> modems to use (for incoming call mostly)? I am hearing USR's
> have problems, which I thought was the chioce of ISP's.

The quick answer: none. All modems suck, analog dialup networking sucks,
and you don't wanna get into the ISP business. <grin>

A better answer: there is no modem that "works for everyone". Sone use
USR Sportsters, some Couriers, some Supra...

We use Cardinal. Rock-solid. Once we settled on the ideal init string,
they've been great.

Chris Woods Systems Administrator
cjwoods@usa1.net USAinternet, Inc.