Re: $200 modem advice...

Thomas Gerard Benavides (tomb@tab.com)
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 19:52:53 -0500

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Robert Boyle wrote:

> At 06:41 PM 10/10/95 -0400, you wrote:
> >Is there such a thing as a <$200 v.34 modem that works well for ISP's with
> >Portmasters?
>
> US Robotics Sportster 28.8 <$175 for the external version (I have paid as
> little as $160) Tastes great, less filling.
>
> >Has anyone had good (or bad) experiences with
>
> Microcom v.34 - ?
> Zoom - I wouldn't use one (...for anything)
> Cardinal - worse than Zoom
> Accura - ?
> Boca - Ok, but 2 people have told me that they are as bad as Cardinals...
> however, personally, I haven't had any problems
> Motorola - Good, but a little expensive sometimes I don't have much
> experience with them

We use Pratical Peripherals 28.8MT II v.34. They are having a special
for BBS and ISP's through October. I think we paid less than $140 for
them. I have no problem with them at all. One modem hung up on
occasions but I have replaced it and now have no problems.

Boca and Zoom modems have given me lots of problems.

Regards,
Thomas G. Benavides

TAB Net Internet Services
http://www.tab.com SLIP/PPP/Web pages