Re: $200 modem advice...

Robert Boyle (robert@gate.garden.net)
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 19:39:08 -0400

At 06:41 PM 10/10/95 -0400, you wrote:
>Is there such a thing as a <$200 v.34 modem that works well for ISP's with
>Portmasters?

US Robotics Sportster 28.8 <$175 for the external version (I have paid as
little as $160) Tastes great, less filling.

>Has anyone had good (or bad) experiences with

Microcom v.34 - ?
Zoom - I wouldn't use one (...for anything)
Cardinal - worse than Zoom
Accura - ?
Boca - Ok, but 2 people have told me that they are as bad as Cardinals...
however, personally, I haven't had any problems
Motorola - Good, but a little expensive sometimes I don't have much
experience with them

These are only my opinions and they are based on MY experiences, I'm sure
that I'll get a lot of messages about my praising of some modems and
ripping apart others. Will the debate shift from Livingston Support? I doubt
it ;)

-Robert
robert@garden.net
Garden Networks: northern New Jersey's premier Internet service provider
50 Diller Ave. Newton, NJ 07860 (201)300-9211
http://www.garden.net http://www.windows.net