Re: routes and netmasks (fwd)

King Chung Ho (kingho@glink.net.hk)
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 00:41:30 +0800 (HKT)

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Steve Davies wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, Dave Andersen wrote:
>
> > Lo and behold, Igor V. Semenyuk once said:
> >
> > > design or implementation of some things. For example my current
> > > headache is how to make a bunch of portmasters to look EXACTLY
> > > like one from dialin user's point of view. This is supposed to
> > > be Livingston's primary concern (30 ports is not enough even
> > > for medium ISP) and yet there's no clean solution for it.
>
> Do you know about setting the "reported" IP address?
> You can have your PM's "report" a special address to incoming PPP and
> SLIP users. This can be the same on all the PMs.

I think the banner that the PM prints will not reflect the "reported" IP
address. This will create problems for SLIP users if they try to
grep it from the "session from (a.b.c.d) to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" line as
a.b.c.d is the IP address of the PM not the "reported IP".

Best regards,

King Ho
Global Link Information Services Ltd.