Re: "Connecting" (fwd)

Steve Davies (steve@iafrica.com)
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 15:57:41 +0200 (GMT+0200)

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Barry James wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Steve Davies wrote:
>
> > You've mentioned this a couple of times - and it really confuses me. The
> > Portmaster's support PAP and CHAP - this is how most of our users
> > authenticate themselves.
>
> PAP and CHAP are two types of PPP authentication protocols. RADIUS is
> a different type. To my knowledge, and my experience, you cannot use
> RADIUS and PAP/CHAP together. Maybe someone has found a way to do this,
> although the reasons are beyond me as RADIUS is much more robust and
> detailed than either PAP or CHAP.

Don't tell all my Win95, OS/2 Warp, Trumpet Winsock, MacPPP etc etc users
that this doesn't work...

PAP and CHAP are used to pass authentication information over the PPP
link from the PM to the client.

Radius is used to pass authentication information from the PM to the Unix
authentication server.

Whether a PM gets the username and password from the "clear text" answers
to the login: and password: prompts or whether it gets them using PPP's
PAP and CHAP protocols, it will still formulate and send a RADIUS query
to find out if they are OK. But the PM will happily collect the username
and password from the client either way.

Steve