RE: Mac PPP clients don't work with my PM2eR

Mark Damrose (med@npcts.edu)
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 09:15:08 -0600

>From: "Robert Boyle" <robert@gate.garden.net>
>Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 01:07:31 -0400
>Subject: Mac PPP clients don't work with my PM2eR

>Hello All,

>I have a very strange problem. I signed up 2 macintosh users today... the
>first ones on our system. I spend 6 hours on the phone... 3 with each of
>them to try to firgure this thing out. Here is what happens:

>1. They call and the modems both connect
>2. They connect/login (PAP/CHAP) I can see that they have a
>session established.
>3. I can't ping their assigned ip address.
>4. They access anything either on our local network or the Internet.
>5. If they are in Netscape and they type a URL, it can't talk to my dns server.
>6. If they type in an ip URL such as: http://206.26.128.1 then they get the
>title and nothing else.
>7. We tried turning everything off and on in every concievable combination
>on the mac side.
>8. Both of these computers worked with another ISP's system w/o any problems
>all we changed were the ip addresses, etc.

>What do I need to turn on/off on my portmasters? This is a MAJOR problem
>since I am expecting to sign up several schools in the coming weeks. Anyone
>with any mac/pm experience... I'll listen to/try anything at this point. I'm
>going to buy a mac tomorrow for experimentation.

>Thanks,
>Robert

>robert@garden.net
>Garden Networks: northern New Jersey's premier Internet service provider
>http://www.garden.net/users/robert

We are a 85% Mac shop and have had 0 problems, so I know they work.

Some suggestions: You said all you changed was the IP address. Did you
change the DNS server info as well? Since you are having trouble resolving
names, that might be a place to look.

Are these users on the most recent versions of MacTCP? You want at least
2.0.4, if not 2.0.6 (Warning on 2.0.6, to be more compatable with the DNS
spec, apple removed the ability to resolve names that contain an
underscore)

Are they on the most recent version of Netscape (1.1N last I checked)

You may want to look at my user instructions:

http://www.npcts.edu/cs/net/dial/macintosh.html

My radius users file:

DEFAULT Password = "UNIX"
User-Service-Type = Framed-User,
Framed-Protocol = PPP,
Framed-Route = 0.0.0.0,
Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.0,
Framed-Routing = None,
Framed-MTU = 1006,
Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP

My port configuration:

Input: 5332950 Parity Errors: 0
Output: 57399773 Framing Errors: 9
Pending: 0 Overrun Errors: 0

Active Configuration Default Configuration
-------------------- ---------------------
Port Type: Netwrk Netwrk (Dial In)
Baud Rates: 115200 115200,115200,115200
Flow Control: RTS/CTS RTS/CTS
Modem Control: on on

Interface: ptp9 (SLIP,Listen) (SLIP,Quiet)
Mtu: 0 1006
Dial Group: 0

Good Luck.

Mark Damrose med@npcts.edu (312)244-5541
Telecommunications Technician
North Park College & Theological Seminary
3225 West Foster Ave
Chicago, IL 60625