[Fwd: (PM) WARNING: US-West CT1s]

Kyle Platts (kwplat1@uswest.com)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:50:20 -0600

--------------661D8257C5ABFABD85F1A9D6

I don't think I sent this to the list, so I am re-posting. If I did send
it, please accept my appologies.

--
Kyle Platts
Data Network Chronics Engineer

Message-ID: <38627846.B7536A4A@uswest.com> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:30:14 -0600 From: Kyle Platts <kwplat1@uswest.com> Reply-To: kwplat1@uswest.com Organization: CSM X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.05 [en] (WinNT; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: John Gonzalez/netMDC admin <ekool@ns1.netmdc.com> Subject: Re: (PM) WARNING: US-West CT1s References: <Pine.LNX.3.96.991221192312.27723A-100000@ns1.netmdc.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:

<snip> > > What i was told is that these particular cards send out an extra bit every > once in a while, could be one bit per day, or 10,000 or 1 bit every 8 > months. It's impossible to tell, and VERY hard to track down. Check the > revision on all your cards (the telco supplied ones) > > I believe Rev. A - D are bad, anything after that is good. This is from > memory, but asking a friendly tech at uswest should yield more accurate > responses. > > The local tech that does all our CT1's also told me a story about putting > in a CT1 at the bank and how it took MONTHS for him to figure out what the > problem was, the CT1 just wouldnt sync all the time and he kept telling > the bank it was their equipment. Finally USWest brought down a big wig and > he told the tech about a grounding problem on that particular type of > equipment (again, telco equipment) and that an extra ground wire was > needed to get the card to work properly (undocumented feature) and all was > well.

Perhaps I can clear some things up for everyone, as I'm the one who discovered both bugs you allude to here. There is a problem with ALL ADC Soneplex HLXR units previous to revision E41, Model SPX-HLXRE41. SPX-HLXRE41 fixes the problem. The remote units spit out framing errors. This will show up as a Loss of Sync error and Multiframe Sync Errors on the PM3.

The problem is compounded if the units are not grounded properly. Westell single mounts need to have a modification made to them to bring them into compliance. Westell Multi-mounts do not suffer from the same lack of ground, however, I have found multi-mounts that were not grounded properly upon installation. So, I always verify it with a multimeter. You can do this by measuring resistance from the front of the HDSL card (there's a little metal handle on the front) to either a known good ground, or where the Mounting is grounded to. You should see less than 5 Ohms of resistance.