Re: (PM) Network monitoring

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:17:56 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Larry wrote:

> Don't know if this is the right place to ask this but this is where this
> company's tec support
> is pointing the finger so we got to ask.
> Were running 4 PM3's and 2 class C's 208.203.150.x and 63.65.166.x
> 3 of the PM3's are on the 208.203.150.x and the last is on 63.65.150.x
> were using "Distributed Observer" to monitor the net work.
> Both Class C's are directly connected to Ether0 on a Cisco 2501 router.
> problem is that we cant see any of the IP's that are on the PM3's that are
> on 208.203.150.x
> we can see any other IP's in that class for other machines or our Analog
> pool with no problem
> we can also see all of IP's for 63.65.150.x even the ones on the other PM3.
> Cisco is pointing the fingure at the software there pointing at the PM3.
> all routes are static no RIP or OSPF in use.
> any ideas or help.

When you say that you have both the 208 and the 63 networks connected
to ether0, I'm assuming that one of those networks is configured in the
router as a secondary address, right?

Try adding the following to the Cisco's configuration of the ether0
interface:

Router(config-if)# no ip split-horizon

Without this, the router won't send packets out the same interface on
which they are received.

Secondary IP addresses on an ether are kind of messy. You should consider
a router with an additional ethernet port for your second network, or use
a trunking-capable router port and an ethernet switch that will do VLANs.
Then use ISL or 802.1q and you've got all the routable ports you'll need.

--
Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  jay@west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/