Re: GV Platinum modem vs Mac OS 8 (was (PM) Chicago land ISP?)

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 23:05:08 -0800

At 15:22 -0600 12/8/99, Alexi wrote:
>I've got a Mac user with OS8 and a 28.8 Global Village Platinum that cannot
>connect higher than 14.4
>
>We're running ComOS 3.8.2c2.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions on improving this?

In the Modem control panel, don't select the obvious "Global Village
Platinum" modem script. That script was always broken for PPP (I'm told it
worked well for Apple's Apple Remote Access protocol). Apple ships a newer
script (released by Global Village long before MacOS 8...slightly before
MacOS 7.6 on which it should also be used) on the Mac OS 8 CD...look in the
CD Extras folder on the CD for the "Additional Modem Scripts" folder, and
run the installer (no choices) contained therein. Then select the Global
Village or GV script which wasn't available before.

Or, now that the GV web and FTP sites are back, go there and get the latest
script for the modem using the software selector, which will have a
horrible name something like
GV flex/V.90 ARA 2.1/3.0/OT-PPP
(don't try that file name on Unix...;-)

That's good back to the Platinum modems...unless the right one shown by the
software selector is the older
GV 28.8-K56 for ARA 3.0

I can't remember whether I've run
GV flex/V.90 ARA 2.1/3.0/OT-PPP
on my (retired) Platinum or not.

There are about 3 Platinum modems: early ones which could not be upgraded
to 33.6, later ones which can be but haven't been, and later ones which can
be and have been. The same script should work for any of those.

Someone still running Mac OS 8 (if you mean 8.0) might also not have
upgraded a Platinum modem to 33.6. [Or, might be running a Mac model on
which Mac OS 8.0 was the end of the line.]

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA