Re: (PM) ISDN Lines to a PM3

Jim Logan (jim@top.net)
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 11:27:30 -0600

At 10:08 AM 12/5/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I had a Alarm circuit installed, (tried the net to net but I think I'm too
>far from the CO, 4 1/2 miles), so I am trying a ISDN modem but had a couple
>questions on this subject.

You would have wanted two DSL Modems (Like PairGains) - not ISDN modems to
use an alarm circuit. 4.5 miles would be right at/exceeed the distance.
The max distance is also function of the wire size used, larger gauge
wiring = greater distance, but even at 18,000 feet, thru-put starts to
degrade rapidly.

>1. Can a ISDN modem work from a regular phone line?

No....

>2. Does anyone know what Ameritech charges for an ISDN line?

Don't know and it prob varies by State, as that is a State tarrif Issue. US
Worst here charges $69.00/month for 2B+D ISDN Line.

>3. What the difference between the regular phone line and an ISDN line,
>technically speaking?

ISDN Line is limited in distance, just like ADSL, but the telCo puts
repeaters every xxx ft as required... fairly inexpensive for them to do.
The ISDN Line is totally digital circuit, not analog like a home phone line
is, so telco would also prob be removing load coils on any line that is
being used for ISDN.

>TIA
>
>Michael
>
>-
>To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with
>'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.

******* Top Net InterNet Services ********
Omaha, Nebraska www.top.net
Voice: (402) 339-5609