RE: (PM) telcos and connect speeds

Hal Dorsman (hdorsman@blackfoot.net)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 07:46:14 -0700

Probably just paranoid (but just because you aren't
paranoid, doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get
you). Without knowing the architectures of both, it
is just speculation, but perhaps BT is using digital
loop carriers. There are numerous factors that can
make v.90 impossible, and one of them is the digital-
analog conversion required by the interface between
some fiber (digital loop) carriers and the interface
with phone switches. We see very similar comparisons
between our local users (within 18 kilo feet of the
phone switch) that are on copper directly into the
switch, and remote rural users who are on fiber carriers.
Our users on fiber never get v.90, and the modem retrain
process is far from a perfect science, and we see very
similar connect speeds that you are seeing from BT.

Hal

Hal Dorsman
Data Network Engineer
Blackfoot Telephone Cooperative