Re: (PM) Users without V42bis

Ruben van der Leij (ruben@vuurwerk.nl)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:07:52 +0100

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Richard Morrell wrote:

> > So I assume it is the PM3s negotiating connects without V42bis.
>
> No, the PM3 will negotiate V42bis if the client modem supports it (and is
> configured to negotiate it).
>
> > Has anybody else noticed this? Any advice on how to get rid of the problem?
>
> Try getting the users to reset to factory defaults (usually AT&F, but
> varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, check the manual) as this usual
> includes V42bis for modems that support it.

And if they're using win9X they have to set 'enable compression' burried
somewhere deep inside their modem-properties. BTW Microsoft's POV is no to use
V42b compression, use V42b error-correction, and let the PPP-driver compress in
software. I think this story was to be found somewhere in/on
support.microsoft.com.

Ruben