Re: (PM) PM4?

Matthew S. Crocker (matthew@crocker.com)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:55:00 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Robert Jason Adams wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We are to the size where a PM4 would be nice because of the density. Is
> anyone having "good" luck with the pm4's? So far I've seen numerous
> problems.. but no one saying "I love it!". Also, anyone know if they have
> the ISDN only cards out for it yet (i.e. PRI cards w/o DSPs)?

IMHO

The PM-4 is an overpriced oversized PM-3. They don't have any cards which
come close to its maximum capabilities (yet). The software is coming out
LATER than a PM-3. I think there is an accounting bug on the PM-4. The
dual SMM doesn't work so that isn't a benefit. At this point I think the
modems work about as well as a PM-3 (Not sure if that is good or bad)

Some of you may know me from this list (been on it for 4 years). I was
always a true Livingston fan. I wouldn't even look elsewhere. I'm
becoming disheartened. I still think the PM line is one of the best
terminal servers on the market and it handles modems better then the
others (for me anyway). The Livingston sales and support have been
really good as well (that is why I stay). The hardware I feel is falling
behind. Modems are NOT the future of an ISP's business. Livingston needs
to start offering better solutions for high density dedicated connections
(Multiple CT3 termination on one 'blade' termination direct to the card
at DS1 levels). I bought the PM4 in hopes that I wouldn't have to buy a
Cisco 7500 series for my T3 capabilities. It looks like my order for a
7513 will be going in a couple of months... The PM-4 will be 'just
another terminal server'

-Matt